Laboratory Support Technician
Location: Babraham Research Park, Cambridge
Type: Full time, permanent /
Salary: Competitive / Hours: 40 p/w
Laboratory Based Position
Cambridge Start Up of the Year 2018
bit.bio is an award-winning spinout from the University of Cambridge. Our breakthrough technology combines synthetic and stem cell biology for the precise, efficient and consistent reprogramming of human cells used in research, drug discovery, and cell therapy. At bit.bio, we are passionate about engineering human cells that will enable the medicine of the future. To do this we need talented and curious people who want to make an impact on the future of science and therapeutics.
As a team of individuals, we value science, collaboration, openness, curiosity and creativity. We are united by trust and respect for each other.
Your role in our team:
The Laboratory Support Technician works closely with the research operations and scientific research teams to support the Laboratory Supervisor and Laboratory Compliance Manager in ensuring that laboratory space, equipment and consumables – used for the maintenance of human induced Pluripotent Stem Cells and their differentiation into human-like cells – are kept clean, in safe working condition and adequately stocked to maximise productivity and minimise delays for both Production and Research Scientists.
A member of the Operations function who embeds within the scientific research team with a solid and comprehensive understanding of the requirements of running a research lab from an operational and lab support perspective. Someone who uses their knowledge of safety and good laboratory practice to ensure effective laboratory operations while maintaining high levels of safety, quality and service. The Laboratory Support Technician will adhere to Environmental, Health and Safety (QEHS) Management Systems within the laboratory environment as these systems are developed.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Adhere to all regulatory, QEHS policies and procedures such that employees, visitors and the environment are protected from significant risk. This includes identifying, reporting and correcting QEHS deviations/failures as they occur
- Using good aseptic technique to prepare media, reagents, cytokines, and in-house aliquots to support production process and research experience
- Provide high standard autoclaving, washing up services and arrange lab coat laundry services to the Production and Research Scientists
- Waste management – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and dispose of all waste using appropriate waste streams
- Ensure all equipment/instrumentation are properly maintained and serviced complying the regulatory standards and ensure proper performance and function. This includes regular cleaning such as fridge and freezer defrosting, water bath, biological safety cabinet and incubator cleaning
- Stock and lab store management – follow industry best practice (eg. LEAN, 5S, Kanban) to ensure the laboratories are adequately stocked with consumables, reagents, and in-house aliquots in a clearly organised and accessible manner
- Maintain the laboratory and labware in a clean, presentable and audit ready state at all times
- Follow systems and manage emergency situations within the laboratory, such as out of hours critical equipment breakdowns
- Support the authoring of documented SOPs for training and consistency in collaboration with QA and in line with the QEHS Management System
- Are degree educated (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline with a proven track record working within a commercial or academic laboratory
- Have excellent time management, record keeping skills
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to work to tight timelines and adjust to last minute changes
- A good team player – able to work closely with different functions and departments to meet goals and requirements
- A good listener – able to understand the scientists needs and balance expectations across different functions and departments
- Are humble – sincere and secure - accepts own mistakes – prioritises team over personal goals
- Are hungry – driven and proactive – goes above and beyond the call of duty to achieve company results
- Are smart – astute and persuasive – uses emotional intelligence to lead and inspire colleagues
With essential experience in…
- Proven work experience in a support role within a commercial or research laboratory environment
- Aseptic technique
- Experience within a cell culture/cell therapy laboratory environment
- Experience of LEAN (5S, Kanban, Kaizan) environments
- Work experience in an industrial support function in a multi-functional research laboratory
- GLP/GMP training certifications
- 5S training
More reasons to join us:
bit.bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
To support bit.bio staff and our culture further, we also offer a competitive salary, highly competitive benefits package including pension contribution scheme as well as health and life insurance.
To be part of our dynamic, growing start-up team and share our vision to build together the leading cell coding company, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org